«

»

Print this Post

Brampton’s original Fire Hall still serving the community after 167 years

July 2021

The City of Brampton, Ontario, is a municipality that pre-dates the Confederation of Canada. Dating back to 1834, when John Elliott began selling lots near the intersection of Sideroad 5 and Concession 1, in Chinguacousy Township, what is now Main Street and Queen Street in Bampton. Elliott named the new village Brampton.

The old fire hall was built in 1854, and served as Brampton’s first municipal building, originally for use as a market hall. and for the fire company. By 1860, the second floor served as the council chambers.

The 40-foot tower was added in 1862, for hanging the hoses to dry after use, along with housing the fire bell.

Brampton Town Council continued meeting in the old fire hall until 1911, when it moved to new facilities at 8 Main Street South, a building that also still stands today. The building was then used exclusively as a fire hall until being decommissioned in the 1970s.

The Old Fire Hall, minus the fire bell, now serves as office space for the Regimental Headquarters of The Lorne Scots (Peel, Dufferin and Halton Regiment), a militia infantry regiment. The regiment’s Peel Company is housed next door in the Brampton Armoury, as it has since 1915.

Sources: http://wikimapia.org/29844116/The-Old-Fire-Hall, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brampton_City_Hall, Brampton – Wikipedia, Top 5 Oldest Places in Downtown Brampton – inBrampton – Quickbite News: Brampton’s latest local breaking news, Chinguacousy Township, Ontario – Wikipedia, Brampton Armoury – Parks Canada – Armoury (pc.gc.ca) & HistoricPlaces.ca – HistoricPlaces.ca, Brampton Fire and Emergency Services | Firefighting Wiki | Fandom.

About the author

Bruce Forsyth

Bruce Forsyth served in the Royal Canadian Navy Reserve for 13 years (1987-2000). He served with units in Toronto, Hamilton & Windsor and worked or trained at CFB Esquimalt, CFB Halifax, CFB Petawawa, CFB Kingston, CFB Toronto, Camp Borden, The Burwash Training Area and LFCA Training Centre Meaford.

Permanent link to this article: https://militarybruce.com/bramptons-original-fire-hall-still-serving-the-community-after-167-years/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>