Print this Page

MANITOBA

17 Wing Winnipeg:


3rd Canadian Division Support Base Shilo:

Originally opened in 1910 as Camp Shilo, it saw an increase in activity with the outbreak of WWI.

During WWII, Camp Shilo Camp Shilo was the home of A3 Canadian Artillery Training Centre and A15 Canadian Infantry Training Centre

The 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion arrived at the camp in 1942.

By the late 1950s, the threat of a nuclear war had become so great that the Canadian government decided to construct a secret underground bunker to house the major elements of the government in the event of an emergency.

Most Provincial Governments followed suit by building their own Emergency Government Headquarters bunkers. The Manitoba Government chose Camp Shilo for the site of their “Diefenbunker” in the early 1960s. The Provincial Warning Centre, the Regional Emergency Government Headquarters and XXX Communications Squadron also took up residence in the bunker. All Government bunkers also doubled as a communications station, and thus had a remote communications bunker located some distance away. This second bunker, usually a single story structure, was staffed exclusively by communications personnel. Shilo’s remote transmitter bunker site was constructed at Camp Hughes a the former WWI training camp.

With the Unification of the Forces, Camp Shilo was re-named CFB Shilo.

Today, 3rd CDSB Shilo is the home of the 1st Regiment, Royal Canadian Horse Artillery, 2nd Battalion and the home station of the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery;  Princes Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry (re-located from their former home of Kapyong Barracks in June 2004) and 3rd Canadian Division Training Centre C Company, 26th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA.

Permanent link to this article: https://militarybruce.com/abandoned-canadian-military-bases/the-future/manitoba/